The Veggie cyclist...
As the fields around Neunkirchen-Seelscheid start to bloom with the most delicious asparagus I have ever tasted I thought why not combine two of my favourite pass-times... cycling and eating? The result is below. Let me know what it tastes like... I'm still waiting for the spring asparagus to be harvested!
This weeks idea... Après ride lunch... 'Spring' vegetable omelette.
for 4 portions...
- 50g / 2oz / 1/2 cup fresh asparagus tips (from the local farm :))
- 50g spring greens, shredded
- 15ml / 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 175g / 6oz cooked new potatoes, diced
- 2 or 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 15-30ml / 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (from my pot)
- seasoning (salt, pepper... I like chopped chillies)
- Bikefood protein (hemp)
1. Steam the asparagus tips & spring greens for 5-10 mins, until tender. Drain and keep warm.
2. Heat the olive oil in a grill proof pan, add the red onions and soften (10 mins)
3. Add the new potatoes and stir fry for 3 mins.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, asparagus and spring greens
5. Beat the eggs lightly with the herbs and season to taste
6. Preheat the grill
7. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cook over a gentle heat until the base of the omelette is golden brown
8. Slide the pan under the grill and cook the omelette for 2-3 mins, until the top is golden brown
9. cut into wedges, sprinkle Bikefood protein (available from www.bikefood.com) over (or add to the salad dressing) & serve immediately with salad.
Riding tip... prepare 1-6 before the ride and then finish off Après-ride.